DedicatedThe SHD application has two main stages. Firstly, in the “pre-application” stage, you must consult with the relevant planning authority and An Bord Pleanála to get an initial opinion on the planning documents you have provided, to see if they are in good order and constitute a reasonable basis for application, or if you need to make further adjustments or amendments.
In the second stage, the planning application is submitted to An Bord Pleanála, which will ultimately make a judgment on the application after a mandatory 16-week timeframe, after consultation with the public and the submission of a report from the planning authority. See An Bord An Bord Pleanála’s SHD overview
for more information.
The exact fee owed to An Bord Pleanála depends on a number of factors. This includes the type of application you are making (for example, whether you are lodging an appeal, an SID application or an SHD application) and the provisions of the Planning and Development Acts on which you are basing your application. For more information about fees for your specific application, please visit https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/fees
A strategic housing development (SHD) application is made directly to An Bord Pleanála. You should make an SHD application if it relates to a housing development within a certain criteria, including:
- It contains 100 or more houses
- It involves student accommodation units
- It involves a mixed development of housing and student accommodation
- It relates to an alteration of existing permission from a planning authority
- It relates to an alteration of existing permission from An Bord Pleanála.
For more information about SHD applications, please visit https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/strategic-housing-development
A strategic infrastructure development (SID) application is also made directly to An Bord Pleanála. You should make an SID application for any major infrastructure development, for example a motorway, railway line, pipeline, airport, port or major facility such as a hospital. For more information about SID applications, please visit https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/strategic-infrastructure-development
A large-scale residential development (LRD) application is made to the relevant planning authority. You should make an LRD application if it relates to a housing development within certain criteria, including:
- It relates to a housing development of 100 or more units
- It relates to student accommodation comprising 200 beds or more
- A combination of the two where the threshold is met for either element.
For more information about LRD applications, please contact your local authority, or for further information about the relevant Irish legislation please visit https://www.gov.ie/en/circular/8bd7e-large-scale-residential-development-act-and-regulations-2021/
Applicants must meet a number of important criteria before submitting an SHD application to An Bord Pleanála. These criteria include:
- Carrying out an acceptable consultation with the planning authority
- Seeking an opinion from An Bord Pleanála about the suitability of documents submitted at pre-application stage
- Adhering to regulations regarding site and newspaper notices, the notification of planning authorities and prescribed authorities
- Adhering to requirements set in relation to effects on the environment of an EU state
For more details about these criteria and the relevant legislation surrounding them, please visit https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/shd-applications-applicant-guidance/shd-applications-(applicant)-requirements-before